The legendary writer-lyricist-director, Richard Maltby, Jr., conceived and directed two musical revues that went on to win Tony Awards for Best Musical starting with 1978’s Ain’t Misbehavin’, for which he also won the Tony for Best Director, and 1999’s Fosse. Richard has been nominated for an additional 10 Tonys, and he’s both won and been nominated for numerous Drama Desk, Outer Critics Circle, and various other Awards.
Among Richard’s work on numerous Broadway productions, with his longtime writing collaborator, composer David Shire, he wrote the lyrics and directed Baby. Richard is the lyricist for Big. With Alain Boublil and Claude-Michel Schonberg, Richard co-wrote lyrics for Miss Saigon and The Pirate Queen. He co-wrote lyrics and directed Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Song and Dance. And he created and directed the Johnny Cash musical, Ring of Fire.
Off-Broadway, with David Shire, Richard wrote lyrics and directed the brilliant, popular revues Starting Here, Starting Now, and Closer Than Ever. Richard has also conceived, written lyrics, and directed numerous shows in regional theaters.
Richard also wrote the screenplay for Miss Potter, which won the Christopher Award for best screenplay.
Of note, Richard contributes cryptic crossword puzzles to Harper’s Magazine.
- Richard Maltby, Jr. on Wikipedia
- Richard Maltby, Jr. on the IBDB
- Richard Maltby, Jr. on Masterworks Broadway
IF YOU LIKE THIS EPISODE, YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY:
- Karen Ziemba, Tony Winning Broadway and TV Actress-Episode #154
- Kathleen Chalfant, Actress-Episode #148
- Jason Graae, Stage and Screen Actor-Episode #147
- Jamie deRoy, Tony Award-Winning Broadway Producer-Episode #143
- John Yap, Music Producer-Episode #151
- Bryan Cranston, Legendary Actor-Producer-Writer-Director-Episode #132
- Jonathan Deans-Renowned Theatre Sound Designer-Episode #141
- Scott Guy, Writer-Producer-Episode #73
- Paige Davis, Actress-Singer-Host-Author-Episode #16 Encore
- Patrick Page, Broadway Actor-Episode #38
- Austin Pendleton, Legendary Actor-Director-Episode #41