Peter Smith and Laura Smith are co-authors of the book, “My Travels Through the Maelstrom of Punk Rock.”
Peter is an Emeritus Professor at the University of Sunderland, in the United Kingdom. Though paralyzed from the neck down, Peter continues teaching students online, while researching and writing about a number of subjects. He recently published articles and books on topics related to disability, postgraduate education, and rock music. He supports a number of students who are completing their Masters dissertations and PhD theses. Peter is perhaps best known for his great contributions to Artificial Intelligence.
Peter’s daughter, Laura, also publishes, sometimes with Peter, on topics relating to disability, rock music and the UK radio show “The Archers,” of which she’s a passionate follower and listener. Laura, who lost her sight at a young age, is a mother of two children and lives in the Northeast of the UK. She’s a qualified social worker, teacher, and a classically trained singing teacher.
Peter and Laura recently published My Travels Through the Maelstrom of Punk Rock. As a young man, Peter’s rebellious nature pulled him away from his academic studies into the world of punk rock. During the late 1970s he threw himself into a life of attending turbulent, manic, and perilous concerts full of young, disillusioned punks and skinheads, many of whom saw Peter as an outsider. He witnessed first-hand early performances by numerous groups like The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Cure, and dozens more. Amidst a sea of punks, Peter’s long hair stood out, attracting trouble and tempting danger. Life was daring, wired, and scary yet fun.
My Travels Through the Maelstrom of Punk Rock is a fantastic exploration of both Peter’s youth as a music superfan, and also an eye-opening probe into the history of how Punk Rock developed in England in the 1970’s, 80’s and beyond, including dozens of accounts of Peter attending concerts of now infamous bands before they became widely known.
IF YOU LIKE THIS EPISODE, YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY:
- Mike Byrne, Creator of The Beatles Story Exhibition-Episode #239
- Tim Quinn, Writer-Editor-Artist-Manager-Episode #231
- Suzi Quatro, Rock and Roll Superstar-Episode #224
- Joel Drucker, Journalist-Author-Episode #215
- Scott McGee-TCM-Director of Original Programming-Episode #211
- Alan K. Rode, Biographer-Film Scholar-Episode #208
- Stephen Galloway, Author and Educator-Episode #206
- Andy Marx, Photographer-Writer-Musician-Episode #202
- Jon Krampner, Journalist-Author-Episode #197
- Charles Rosenay, Actor-Author-Promoter-Episode #192
- Robert Miller, Singer-Songwriter-Musician-Episode #189
- Adam Hawley, Jazz Guitarist-Producer-Episode #185