After graduating from UCLA’s film program, Bob took a succession of minor entertainment industry jobs, while also writing scripts. He then moved to New York to work for a producer, where he found the time to look for his own material. He found a true story and was able to option it.
Upon later returning to L.A., Bob began pitching this one true story idea while creating others. He found what he was always looking for: simple high concepts that no one knew about. A second true story sold to Lorimar that Bob and his writing partner wrote for that studio.
Bob discovered that he was best at creating and/or finding great commercial material and then working to package those ideas with talent. Pitching is a major component of his success, which helped to launch his career as a producer.
Bob learned that there is great ‘power’ in ideas. In time, his reputation grew as a “pitcher” of good material and he was dubbed the “King of the Pitch.” As a result, he has had first look deals with most of the studios and somehow ended up with an unusual career based on pitching ideas and stories.
Projects that Bob set up, some of which he also helped to produce, include: 12 Monkeys, In The Mood, The Hardy Men, Wild Pitch, My One and Only, Commando, Kick, Keeper of the Flame, A Novel Life, Stepping Out, and Born to Shop among others.
Bob’s favorite response to people who say, “Good ideas are a dime a dozen,” is to respond, “No, bad ideas are a dime a dozen. Good ideas are one in a million.”
Bob is also the author of the very useful book, “How to Sell Your Idea to Hollywood,” which is filled with valuable advice on how to develop ideas, pitch them, and sell them to Hollywood.
IF YOU LIKE THIS EPISODE, YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY:
- Christopher Hatton, Writer-Director-Producer-Episode #237
- Bill Mumy, Actor-Singer-Songwriter-Producer-Episode #227
- Amanda Raymond, Writer-Director-Producer-Episode #222
- Charlie Peters, Writer-Director-Episode #221
- Karen Leigh Hopkins, Writer-Director-Producer-Episode #207
- Scott Myers, Screenwriter-Teacher-Episode #193
- Shannon Bradley-Colleary, Novelist and Screenwriter-Episode #182
- Mark Pirro, Indie Filmmaker-Episode #162
- Martin Casella, Playwright-Screenwriter-Episode #157
- Michael Colleary, Screenwriter-Producer-Episode #109
- Chris Moore, Film and TV Producer-Episode #94
- Andy Tennant, Screenwriter-Director, Episode #92
- Todd Robinson, Writer-Director-Episode #89
- Kevin Hopps, Writer-Producer-Episode #88
- Rocky Lang, Writer-Director-Producer-Episode #67
- Norman Steinberg, Screenwriter-Producer-Director-Episode #27
- David Paterson, Playwright-Screenwriter-Episode #14