Sheldon was first drawn to the stage while at Teaneck High School, and later graduated from Carnegie Mellon University with a degree in Drama.
He began his career as an actor studying at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, Indiana Repertory Company, the Alley Theatre, the Pittsburgh CLO and The Production Company, which he co-founded and for which he directed various plays.
In 1980, Sheldon made his theater directing debut with the Off-Broadway musical Blues in the Night. It was revived in 1982, this time on Broadway. Since then he’s directed numerous other stage productions on Broadway and in regional theaters including: Scenes and Revelations, Play On!, Blue, and Purlie.
Since 1994, Sheldon has directed many memorable, popular TV shows including: Evening Shade, Smart Guy, Sister, Sister, Frasier, Everybody Loves Raymond, Friends, Girlfriends, and George Lopez.
In 1997, Sheldon became artistic director of the Pasadena Playhouse, serving in that capacity for two decades. In 2020 Sheldon was appointed Senior Artistic Advisor at Ford’s Theatre in Washington, DC.
Sheldon’s best-selling memoir, My Own Directions, was published in September 2022. I’ve read My Own Directions and can tell you it’s a fantastically entertaining and informative look at Sheldon’s exceptional career and all of the many hurdles he’s overcome and successes he’s achieved throughout an outstanding life in the arts.
IF YOU LIKE THIS EPISODE, YOU MAY ALSO ENJOY:
- Dakin Matthews, Actor-Playwright-Director-Teacher-Episode #233
- Amanda Raymond, Writer-Director-Producer-Episode #222
- Charlie Peters, Writer-Director-Episode #221
- Marcus Stevens, Writer-Actor-Director-Episode #198
- Robert Cuccioli, Actor-Singer-Director-Episode #188
- Karen Mason, Broadway Singer and Actress-Episode #173
- David Shire, Award Winning Broadway and Motion Picture Composer-Episode #166
- Richard Maltby, JR., Tony Winning Writer-Lyricist-Director-Episode #155
- Karen Ziemba, Tony Winning Broadway and TV Actress-Episode #154
- Julie Budd, Legendary Singer-Episode #153
- Kathleen Chalfant, Actress-Episode #148
- Jason Graae, Stage and Screen Actor-Episode #147
- Jamie deRoy, Tony Award-Winning Broadway Producer-Episode #143
- Jonathan Deans-Renowned Theatre Sound Designer-Episode #141
- Andy Tennant, Screenwriter-Director, Episode #92
- Marya Sea Kaminski, Playwright-Director-Producer-Episode #77
- Bruce E.G. Smith-Nancy Zionts-Leon Zionts, Theatre Producers-Episode #75
- Tamara Tunie, Actress-Director-Producer-Episode #68
- Ted Pappas, Stage Director-Choreographer-Producer-Episode #65
- Mark Clayton Southers, Playwright-Director-Producer-Episode #61
- Randy Johnson, Playwright-Director-Producer-Episode #42
- Austin Pendleton, Legendary Actor-Director-Episode #41
- Patrick Page, Broadway Actor – Episode #38
- Kirsten Childs, Playwright-Librettist-Episode #40
- Paige Davis, Actress-Singer-Host-Author-Episode #16
- Ken Davenport, Playwright-Broadway Producer-Episode #4
- Alan Stanford, Actor-Writer-Director-Producer-Episode #2